The Artifact Gallery was made possible by a generous gift from the William T. Kemper Foundation – Commerce Bank, Trustee.
This fragment is part of the flag of Company F of the 1st Regiment U.S. Reserve Corps (USRC). The unit was originally organized in St. Louis for three months’ service on May 7, 1861, but the association of this flag fragment with Sergeant Henry B. Remmers puts it with the reorganization of the regiment for three years’ service starting in September 1861. Sgt. Remmers’s daughter identified him as the company flag bearer, but little else is known of him except for what can be culled from service records. He was 34 years old when he was mustered into service with the 1st USRC as a sergeant at the St. Louis Arsenal on September 11, 1861. On March 26, 1862, he was promoted to first sergeant. Remmers deserted that summer, but eventually reported to Benton Barracks in St. Louis and was mustered out of service on September 9, 1862. Though originally designated for three years’ service, his regiment mustered out just a month after he was discharged. It had spent its entire existence within Missouri’s borders.