The Artifact Gallery was made possible by a generous gift from the William T. Kemper Foundation – Commerce Bank, Trustee.
This Log Cabin-pattern quilt was made in 1866, in Lexington, Missouri, for a Methodist Episcopal Church, South, bazaar to raise money to benefit the families of ex-Confederate soldiers. Spelled out across the front of the quilt is a reminder to parishioners to "FEED THE HUNGRY" in the wake of a devastating war that left families impoverished. The quilt, which brought $206 at auction, was donated in 1938 as a memorial to Bishop Enoch Mather Marvin, the first Methodist bishop from Missouri, and the murdered reverends Thomas Glanville, Edwin Robinson, and Samuel Steel Headlee. The killings of Glanville in 1863, Robinson in 1864, and Headlee in 1866, signaled that no place in Missouri, including the church, was exempt from the deep division during the war and immediately after. These deaths were but three examples of violent acts in a feud between Southern and Northern Methodists.