The Artifact Gallery was made possible by a generous gift from the William T. Kemper Foundation – Commerce Bank, Trustee.
The 48th Missouri Infantry was initially organized in Waynesville in August 1864, to serve for one year. Recruits came primarily from around Jefferson City and Rolla. The warning "No Quarters Asked, Rebel, None Given" [stenciled on the flag] would imply that the regiment expected to see a lot of the enemy, but in reality the 48th saw little, if any, action. The unit served in the District of Rolla, Department of Missouri, until early December 1864, when it was sent to Nashville, Tennessee, to take post and garrison the block houses on the Tennessee & Alabama Railroad. In February 1865, the 48th was ordered to Camp Douglas in Chicago to escort Confederate prisoners to City Point, Virginia, and New Orleans for exchange. The regiment was then ordered to Benton Barracks in St. Louis, where it was mustered out of service on June 30, 1865.