The Artifact Gallery was made possible by a generous gift from the William T. Kemper Foundation – Commerce Bank, Trustee.
In the first year of the war Anna L. Clapp became president of the newly organized Ladies’ Union Aid Society (LUAS). In that role she worked tirelessly to supply for the needs of injured and sick soldiers. She even obtained contracts from the U.S. surgeon general in 1862 and 1864 to secure medical supplies for the LUAS. In addition, she was instrumental in the establishment of Lawson Hospital, which provided food, shelter, education, and medical care to thousands of black and white refugees of the war. After the war she continued her benevolent services as president of the Western Female Guardian Home and as director of the Colored Orphans' Home of St. Louis and the St. Louis Protestant Orphan Asylum.It is not known why this five-piece Britannia ware coffee and tea service was presented to Anna Clapp. It bears a presentation date of January 1, 1863, indicating that it may have been given to commemorate President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation, which took effect on that day.