The Artifact Gallery was made possible by a generous gift from the William T. Kemper Foundation – Commerce Bank, Trustee.
Following its removal from the state capital, Governor Claiborne F. Jackson’s secessionist government set up operations in Neosho in southwestern Missouri and passed an ordinance of secession on October 31, 1861. It authorized $10 million for defense and the production and circulation of defense bonds to raise money for the war effort. Because Jackson’s government was in exile most of the bonds were never signed and did not circulate. The Confederate Missouri State Guard (MSG) was to give these non-interest-bearing bond notes to soldiers, who would turn them in for pay three years after issuance. However, the MSG was short lived and many of its members joined the formal Confederate army, which is perhaps another reason why the bonds were not widely circulated.