The Artifact Gallery was made possible by a generous gift from the William T. Kemper Foundation – Commerce Bank, Trustee.
This leather and wood cartridge box is specially designed to hold 20 of the uniquely shaped, tapered metallic .54 caliber cartridges made for the Burnside carbine. The cartridge box was manufactured by J. B. Sickles & Co., one of several government contractors in St. Louis that supplied military accoutrements to the Federal army. Sickles & Co. received the contract for 2,000 of these cartridge boxes on October 21, 1862.The government must have been pleased with Sickles’ products. He received additional contracts during the war for 10,000 sets of .69 caliber accoutrements, 30,000 sets of .58 caliber accoutrements, and 1,000 sets of horse equipments.